As the universal environmental crises origins upon us, renewable energy models are taking centre stage.
Renewable energy is any energy resulting from natural procedures, such as sunlight and wind. They are replenished faster than they are expended, hence "renewable". Some forms of renewable energy include solar, wind, geothermal, hydro and biomass. They've been around for quite some time but are only now being taken more seriously, when the world has found itself in a position where it has no other choice but to embrace renewable technologies. The following 10 fun facts about renewable energy highlight its growth, proficiency, and efficiency.
- Renewable Energy creates three-times more jobs than fossil fuels.
- Fossil fuels get 4 times the subsidy of renewables.
- Renewable energy is expected to jump to 25 % of global gross power generation in 2018, a rise on 20 percent in 2011 and 19 percent in 2006.
- One wind turbine is able to generate enough electricity to power up to 1,500 households.
- Within a 5-year period, Portugal’s electric grid jumped from 15% to 45% percent renewables.
- If taken advantage of to its fullest extent, sunlight that beams on the earth for 1 hour could meet world energy demands for an entire year.
- Europe and North Africa could run on 100% renewable energy by 2050.
- In 2014, China built two wind turbines per day.
- Solar power may account for the world's main energy source of power by 2050.
- 20% of the UK's population live in areas suitable for Geothermal District Heating using heat pumps.